View over the lake

Ekesjö (a.k.a Eksjöhovgård or Eksjö Hovgården) is a ruined castle situated on a small island in the former Eksjöhovgårdssjön Vallsjö parish, just outside Sävsjö towards Vetlanda.
The first reference to Hovgården is from year 1287. According to the tradition had Sten Sture the Younger used the building as a hunting castle. In the 1650s, let Field Marshal Carl Mauritz Lewenhaupt heavily rebuilding the castle but did not have time to reconstructed to Lewenhaupt death in 1666, and the heirs could not afford to complete it. Subsequent owners ended up financially insolvent and in year 1812 was the castle sold after and the building did then quickly ruined.